The Indian King Tavern is located at 223 Kings Highway East, in Haddonfield, Camden County, New Jersey. It was believed to have been built about 1750 by Matthias Aspden, a merchant and ship owner.
It is a three-story structure, with a stone foundation inside brick chimneys, and 24 rooms with five cellars. The Indian King was not the first tavern in Haddonfield, and there was at least one other building in Haddonfield that was used as a tavern before the American Revolution.
Colonel Timothy Matlack, a Free Quaker and Commisary General of the Army, and Master of the Rolls of Pennsylvania was born on the site of the present building. Some historians give Timothy Matlack credit for building the tavern, called the American House, and that he sold it soon after to Matthias Aspden.
The first assembly of the State of New Jersey was held here from January 29, 1777 to March 18, 1777 and several other times in 1777. On March 15, 1777 the Council of Safety for the State of New Jersey was created by the Legislature while it was in session here. The Council itself met in this tavern.
In 1902 the Legislature appointed a committee to purchase this property, and an appropriation was made in 1908 to restore the building.
See how this building looks today and take a virtual tour.
SEE "American Memory" for more information, drawings and photographs of this house.
Tavern Museum Visiting House.