The Cedarville Methodist Church is located on Main Street in Cedarville, Cumberland County, New Jersey. It is a two-story, gable-front frame church with classical Italianate vernacular styling. It sits on a masonry foundation, and is three bays wide and four bays deep.
As early as 1800 a Methodist Society was present in Cumberland County NJ. Methodists organized in Cedarville before 1820 held meetings at the local wheelwright shop. The present church was built in 1863 [or 1868 per a second source]. Situated on both sides of Cedar Creek, a tributary of the Delaware River, Cedarville (first called Cedar Creek) is eight miles from Bridgeton. The location of Cedar Creek was renamed Cedarville in 1806 with the establishment of a post office.
For additional history of Methodism, and of Cedarville NJ, see "Built in America" data pages for this building.
New Jersey Churchscape has a current day photograph of this building, and more history.
Photograph above from "Made in America" HABS (Historic American Buildings Survey), Library of Congress